Common River is a US-based non-governmental organization (501c3) implementing a community development program in the heart of the Sidama coffee growing region, in a town called Aleta Wondo. Nestled in the Great Rift Valley, 300 kilometers south of Addis, it is rich with resources, diligent workers, creative thinkers…ripe with possibility.
Our MISSION is to empower the community to become balanced, productive and self-sustaining for others to witness and replicate, while honoring cultural heritage and environmental biodiversity.
Our GOAL is to invest in the socio-economic potential and well-being of a community through integrated development using the ‘Positive Deviance’ approach in education, health and livelihoods.
Our goal is aligned with the United Nations Millennium Development Goals: MDGs
- Eradicating extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieving universal primary education
- Promoting gender equality and empowerment
- Reducing child mortality
- Combating HIV/malaria and other diseases
- Improving maternal health
- Ensuring environment sustainability
- Developing global partnership to development