This component seeks to provide children with increased access to quality education through the establishment of a private community school. The 4 room schoolhouse was completed in 2011. A Kindergarten Hut was added in 2014. The school provides 5 grades (K. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th) to 200 children aged 6-14 years old. Thirty percent of the students are orphans, selected by the community and seventy percent will be paying students on a sliding scale.
- The curriculum is alternative in that it will provides skills in basket weaving and hut construction, agriculture with a demonstration school garden and moral skills.
- The first one-room school house has become the school library. There is also a mobile library (Donkey cart library) which operates during the summer.
- There are sports facilities for physical education which include: girls soccer field, boys soccer field, basketball court, and volleyball court.
- US high school volunteers have conducted summer camps for our students. Academic, arts and crafts and sports activities are lead by volunteers.
- After starting in our school, when students graduate they return to the public system or do not attend school. Following the cohort of students would require adding a new grade each year, and new classroom. Offer grades Kindergarten through 8th grade and build 4 more classrooms.
- Strengthen the role of PTA’s and engage parent/caregivers to volunteer and contribute time to the school.
- Add a skills training component, such as crafts, cooking, catering, and building furniture and huts.
Find out how your visit, medical volunteering, international internship, student volunteering, volunteer teaching and / or donations can help us reach our goal of sustainable development in Aleta Wondo, Ethiopia. For more information about Common River and how you can help, contact us today.